Report a Concern

For Children

If you have a concern about a child contact:

  • Initial Response Service – 0191 277 2500
  • Emergency Duty Team – 0191 278 7878
  • Northumbria Police – 101 (in an emergency always dial 999)
  • NSPCC Helpline – 0808 800 5000

All concerns that a child or young person is suffering or is at risk of suffering significant harm must be referred directly to the Initial Response Service of Children’s Social Care in accordance with the Newcastle Safeguarding Children Partnership Procedures. There are two secure online referral forms available for you to tell us about your concern, one for practitioners and another if you are a member of the public.  

For Adults

In an emergency, or if you are worried that someone is in danger, call the Police on 999.

If your concern is about an adult (someone aged over 18):

All safeguarding concerns are reported to Adult Social Care at Newcastle City Council.


If you are a professional you will be asked to complete a written referral form. You can do this by:


You can complete the online referral form or you can tell us using any of the contacts listed below. If you are using the online referral form, please select either:

  • “I am worried that I am at risk of abuse or neglect”; OR
  •  “I think that a family member, friend or neighbour might be at risk of abuse or neglect” 

Other methods of contact:


  • 0191 278 8377 (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm)
  • 0191 278 7878 (Evenings and Weekends)      


  • 07968474891 (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm)

In writing

  • Community Health and Social Care Direct, Westgate Community College, West Road,  Newcastle upon Tyne,  NE4 9LU


In person

  • You can tell someone you trust such as a Social Worker, Police Officer, Nurse, Doctor, Carer, Support Worker or Housing Officer. They will pass your concerns on to Adult Social Care.
  • If you are a professional working or volunteering with an adult at risk you will be asked to complete a written referral form (above).